Sinus headache is caused by disease inside the nasal sinuses and cavum – deviated septum in contact with mucosa, chronic sinusitis, etc. However, many people who assume they have pain from sinusitis, actually have migraines or tension headaches.
Signs and symptoms of sinus headaches — regardless of cause - may include:
- Pain, pressure, and fullness in your cheeks, brow or forehead
- Worsening pain if you bend forward or lie down
- Stuffy nose
- Achy feeling in your upper teeth
The most common disease of the nasal sinuses and cavum that can cause headache are:
- Deviated septum in contact with mucosa – contact point headache
- Chronic sinusitis
- Concha bulosa – the anatomical variation of the middle turbinate
SINUSITIS OR MIGRAINE?
Migraines and sinus headaches are easy to confuse because the symptoms of headaches may overlap:
- Both often gets worse when you bend forward
- Migraine can also be accompanied by various nasal signs and symptoms — including congestion, facial pressure, and a clear, watery nasal discharge.
Some studies have shown that almost 90 percent of people who see a doctor for sinus headaches are found to have migraines instead.
However, there are some important differences:
- Sinus headache usually isn't associated with nausea or vomiting
- Sinus headache usually occurs after a cold
- Sinus headache is associated with thick, discolored nasal mucus, decreased sense of smell, and pain in one cheek or upper teeth
- Headaches due to sinus disease often last days or longer and migraine headaches most commonly last hours to a day or two.
In case of sinus headache, our otorhinolaryngologist will take the full examination of nose and sinuses and possible order appropriate specific test like:
- Blood test
- Sinus X-ray
- CT scan
Treatment will many depend on the cause of the headache and will be consisted of
- Nasal septum surgery
- Functional endoscopic sinus surgery (FESS)
They will take care of you
MEET THE TEAM
PETER JFM LOHUIS, MD PHD
BORIS FILIPOVIĆ, MD PHD
IVANA JURJEVIĆ, MD PHD
MARINA MILOŠEVIĆ, MD
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Feel free to
SCHEDULE A CONSULTATION
Fill out the questionnaire and schedule your first visitCONSULTATION