Find out more about
Our patients requesting lip surgery are between 20 and 80 years of age. As we get older the lips age with the rest of the face resulting in atrophy and loss of support of the lips. As a result, the red part of the upper and lower lip loos volume and thin out. The white part of upper lip descend lengthens and hangs over the teeth, tiny vertical lines appear in the skin, and the philtrum and the Cupid's bow begin to flatten. Similar changes can be seen in our younger patients who are born with thinner and elongated upper lips.
There is a wide range of lip procedures which each have their own advantages and disadvantages.
In the clinic of the Lohuis-Filipović Medical group we customize these techniques to each individual patient anatomy to provide you with natural and beautiful lip rejuvenation result.
- Safe procedure with permanent result which avoids the need for repeated lip filler injection
- The only technique that can shorten the long upper lip
- Suitable in both younger and older patient
- Can combined with other aesthetic treatments – upper and lower blepharoplasty, brow lift, skin laser treatment, skin peels, facelift.
Lip surgery is a group of surgical procedures that can correct visible signs of lip aging.
In general, the loss of red lip volume and definition is corrected. In other cases, elongation of the upper lip skin is shortened. Wrinkles of the upper and lower lip are corrected with dermal fillers, chemical peels, laser treatment or dermabrasion.
Good candidates are patients with:
- Red lip tissue atrophy - loss of red lip fullness/volume and definition
- Lip descend because of the loss of support – distance between the base of the nose and red part of the lip (called white lip) is too big
- Limited teeth show which is regarded as a less attractive feature
- Who had multiple filler injection which caused fibrosis
- Asymmetric lips
Not good candidates are patients with:
- People with unrealistic expectation
WHAT RESULTS TO EXPECT?
During your consultation for lip surgery, the surgeon will assess the anatomy of your lips in relation to the rest of your face. It is important to correctly diagnose the leading cause of lip aging (volume loss by fat and muscle atrophy, skin sagging, etc.) in order to be able to make a proper surgical plan.
Beautiful rejuvenated lips mean more volume, definition and balance between the red and white part of the lip. Lip surgery is a lip rejuvenation procedure that can provide all this with a long-term result, avoiding the need for repeated lip filler injections. Moreover, if someone already has a long distance between the nose and the lip (elongated white lip) fillers will only elongate that distance because they will weigh down the lip, causing it to droop further.
The aesthetic ideal for the upper lip is a little bit of tooth show when relaxed lips are parted. A shorter upper lip will result in a more youthful face because it restores balance, making the whole face look a little bit smaller and more petite. In other cases volume is the key item to be restored using different transplantation techniques. All these possibilities will be discussed with you in detail.
HOW TO PREPARE FOR TREATMENT?
Liplift can be performed under local anesthesia with mild sedation for which no special preparation is needed.
However, general anesthesia may be
utilized in appropriately selected patients or when other surgeries are planned
as well (facelift, etc.). In case of general anesthesia, you will be instructed
to take certain steps:
- Medical evaluation by the anesthesiologist in our OR center
- Take certain medication or adjust current medication
- Sometimes laboratory testing, cultures, or a cardiac film
Your surgeon will ask you about your past medical history including medications you are taking, allergies, smoking habits, previous surgery and more. To improve healing, you are advised to stop smoking both preoperatively and postoperatively for at least 2 weeks. Also, you may have to stop taking aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs and other supplements as they can increase the chance of bleeding during surgery and bruising after surgery.
Know more about
“It is important to understand that not all lips will benefit from fillers. The lift gives the upper lip a lighter and more defined appearance with greater volume and tooth show. The end result of a lip lift is subtle, but the benefits are substantial.”
In our clinic we provide different surgical techniques that are customized to the individual anatomy to provide you with lips that have more volume, better definition with an adequate balance between red and white lip.
These techniques include:
- Bulhorn (Subnasal) Lip Lift
- Italian Lip Lift
- Corner Lip Lift
- V-Y Lift
- SMAS insertion
- Fat transplant
- Temporary fillers
We will tailor the different options based on each individual case always having in mind the natural looking result.
Time to heal
The recovery time for most lip surgery is quick with minimal swelling and bruising. Skin sutures will be taken out after 7 days. However, for V-Y lif lift the recovery is more lengthy – due to the considerable swelling - which will subside in about 10 – 14 day.
In general, patients should be able to return to work within one to two weeks following their procedure. Once healed, the incision lines from a lip lift are well concealed in the natural skin lines. The visible improvements of a lip lift appear as swelling and bruising subside. Your final lip lift should not only restore a more youthful and rested appearance, but also help you feel more confident about yourself
The choice to have a lip lift should be made personally and based on your goals, taking into account risks and potential complications that surgery brings. You will be asked to sign consent forms to ensure that you fully understand the procedure and any risks and potential complications. All this will be fully discussed with your surgeon prior to your consent.
The most common side effects of lip surgery are bruising and swelling.
Other potential complications of the surgery are very rare and may necessitate an additional treatment:
- Numbness or other changes in skin sensation – subsides in 2-3 months
- Poor wound healing
- Prolonged swelling
They will take care of you
MEET THE TEAM
PETER JFM LOHUIS, MD PHD
BORIS FILIPOVIĆ, MD PHD
BOŽO GORJANC, MD
MAJA KOVAČEVIĆ, MD
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
· Lip lift can be performed using several techniques, all of which are performed in our clinic.
· The final decision which technique to use will depend on your facial anatomical features, wishes and needs.
· The downtime after surgery is around 7 days, after which you can resume your work activities.
· In case a complication occurs, we will analyze it and treat it immediately.
· The result of your lip lift surgery is immediately visible.
· The final result will appear over the next few months after all post-surgical swelling is resolved and incision lines fade.
Feel free to
SCHEDULE A CONSULTATION
Fill out the questionnaire and schedule your first visitCONSULTATION