Find out more about
A facelift, or rhytidectomy, is a surgical procedure that improves the visible signs of aging in the middle and lower part of the face.
In the same procedure it is often combined with a necklift to rejuvenate the contours of the neck area.
Many type of facelifts are described on the internet: mini face lift, S-lift, short scar facelift, ponytail facelift, deep plane face lift, full face lift, and neck lifts. However, only one important thing is important for the patient: getting the best result possible with limited incisions and as minimal risk and down time possible.
We will discuss your possibilities in a detailed consultation where we analyze your face and customize the type of facelift to your personal needs.
We will explain that we do not want to change your fundamental facial appearance, but strive to deliver a natural, rejuvenate result that does not look pulled, stretched or artificial.
- Safe procedure which rejuvenation effect results last for about 10-15 years
- Can be combined with other aesthetic treatments – upper and lower blepharoplasty, brow lift, skin laser treatment
A facelift, or rhytidectomy, is a surgical procedure that improves visible signs of aging in the middle and lower part of the face. Often a facelift is combined with a necklift to also rejuvenate the contours of the neck area.
Good candidates are patients with:
- Excessive and sagging facial skin
- Disappearance of a well-defined jowl line - jowls developing
- Loose skin and fat of the neck that appears as a double chin or "turkey neck"
- Deepening of the facial fold lines between the nose and the midface (mesolabial) or the corner of the mouth (marionette lines)
- Midface depression due to fat resorption or gravity
Not good candidates are patients with:
- People with unrealistic expectations
- Excessive smokers
WHAT RESULTS TO EXPECT?
During your consultation for facelift, the surgeon will assess anatomy of the entire face and neck. It is important to correctly diagnose the leading cause of facial aging (skin sagging, fat redistribution, bone resorption, etc.) in order to be able to make proper surgical plan. All this will be discussed with you in detail as well as to combine the face lift with for example eyelid surgery or brow lift.
In general the goals of good facelift are to create more definition in the jaw line and to add more volume in the cheek bone area by tightening the fibrous layers deep under the skin (SMAS) in the face and neck. The SMAS (superficial (S) musculo (M) aponeurotic (A) system (S)) is a deeper located soft tissue layer of the face which is connected to both fat and skin. This can be tightened and folded to create more volume. Redundant skin will easily follow and in this way a tightened, stretched, operated look can be avoided.
Sometimes a face is still ‘too good‘ for face lifting and better addressed with less invasive procedures like chin implant, fat transfer, fillers or some of our superficial skin tightening procedures. The advantages and disadvantages of this will then be evaluated with you.
HOW TO PREPARE FOR TREATMENT?
Facelift is done under general
anesthesia for which you will be instructed to take certain steps:
- Laboratory tests, blood work, electrocardiogram in specific cases
- Medical evaluation by anesthesiologist in our OR center
- Take certain medications or adjust your current medications
- Your surgeon will ask you about your past medical history, including medications you are taking, allergies, smoking habits, previous surgery and more.
- In any case, to make surgery result better you need to stop smoking, both preoperatively and postoperatively for at least 3 weeks.
- Also, you have to avoid taking aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs, warfarin sodium and other supplements as they can increase bleeding and bruising. Postoperatively you will receive antibiotic treatment during 1 week.
Know more about
Depending on the type and degree of facial aging features that we want to correct, the facelift procedure may defer from mini facelift to full face deep plane facelift combined with neck lift. Any questions you may have about excessive and sagging facial skin, disappearance of a well-defined jowl line, fat under the chin, deep facial fold lines, marionette lines, or midface depression due to fat resorption or gravity, you may prepare at home. Each specific aging feature that needs corrections we will also point out to you ourselves and discuss it with you.
Specific items of the facelift procedure will be addressed for each individual case such as incision lines, type of SMAS elevation, vector of pull, and deep ligament release. We use our expertise and experience to place the incisions in areas that allow for less visible scarring if any at all while still getting the release, lift, and volume restoration that we intend to obtain. Also the postoperative period is important for the result and will be talked through during the consultation. All our advices you will receive in writing as well.
Time to heal
You will need to wear a bandage around your face for the first 24 h which you will spend in our OR center.
During the following day we will ensure that everything is looking perfect and check for any hematoma. At that time, the bandages will be removed and some bruising and swelling will be seen.
Importantly, with our approach we will leave the skin without tension (lifting is by tightening the SMAS ) which will ensure more rapid healing, because the blood vessels to the skin are left intact. Because of this bruising is less in the more deep plane oriented facelifts, which we like.
Some pain medication may be prescribed to help you feel more comfortable during the healing process. Patients will be encouraged to apply cold compresses to help alleviate swelling and elevation of the head during sleep will be recommended as well. It is important to get plenty of rest during the recovery.
Skin sutures will be taken 10 days after the surgery. In general, patients should be able to return to work within one to two weeks following their procedure. There will then still be some swelling and bruising but nothing that should prevent patients from returning to low intense work and most normal activities. Although your new youthful look will be satisfactory at this time, it may take several months to completely recover as the swelling dissipates and incision lines refine and slowly fade.
Once healed, the incision lines from a facelift are well concealed within the hairline and in the natural contours of the face and ear.
The choice to have a facelift should be made
personally and based on your goals, taking into account risks and potential complications
that surgery brings. You will be asked to sign consent forms to ensure that you
fully understand the procedure and any risks and potential complications. All
this will be fully discussed with your surgeon prior to your consent.
The most common side effects of facelift surgery are bruising and swelling.
Other potential complications of the surgery are very
rare and may necessitate an additional treatment:
- Poor wound healing (smokers)
- Temporary or permanent hair loss at the incisions
- Fluid accumulation
- Numbness or other changes in skin sensation
- Facial nerve injury with weakness
They will take care of you
MEET THE TEAM
PETER JFM LOHUIS, MD PHD
BORIS FILIPOVIĆ, MD PHD
BOŽO GORJANC, MD
MAJA KOVAČEVIĆ, MD
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
· Facelift can be performed using several techniques, all of which are performed in our clinic.
· The final decision which technique to use will depend on your facial anatomical features, aging features, skin type, wishes and needs.
· Recovery period after facelift is usually up to 14 days and you may start doing your low intense daily routines as soon as the following day.
· However, it may take up to 3 months for the face to feel "back to normal" in terms of texture, sensibility and loss of tightness.
· In case a complication occurs, we will analyze it and treat it immediately.
· The result of your facelift is immediately visible. The final results will appear over the 3 months after all post-surgical swelling is resolved and incision lines have faded.
Feel free to
SCHEDULE A CONSULTATION
Fill out the questionnaire and schedule your first visitCONSULTATION